They are off and Running! Five Fantastic Candidates vying for the Prestigious title of 49er Honorary Mayor. This year our 49er Festival Chairman, James Nagle introduces an all new feature to dazzle us throughout the summer—Honorary Mayor. James has spent a good part of the last few months introducing the concept to drum up candidates and sponsors and has rewarded Groveland with a highly qualified list of fun folks to support in the coming months:
- Red "The Baron" Rossio, Renown BSer, sponsored by the PML Aviation Association
- "Calamity Kay" Glaves, long considered the Queen of Groveland, sponsored by the Garrote Lions
- Goose, The Dapper Dancing Dog who entertaining Dozens Daily at the Hotel Charlotte sponsored by Camp Tuolumne Trails
- Peter "Pistol Pack'n Pete" Schimmelfennig of the Jeffery Hotel, sponsored by the Shindig Committee of Coulterville
- Luke "The Drifter & Accordion Stalker" Sullivan, the singing horse-man extraordinaire, sponsored by Country Mountain Riders.
A keen line-up of spiffy mayoral candidates with platforms to match!
For those of you readers just hearing about this, how it works is that the candidate with the most "bribes" gleans the title of Honorary Mayor of Groveland for a one year term, occasionally representing the Yosemite Chamber of Commerce at fun events, but surely presiding over the 49er festival. A bribe equals a $1 and you get a receipt by way of a raffle ticket for the grand prizes raffled off at the 49er festival on Saturday, September 20th.
Winners will be crowned on Friday night before the festival so the Mayoral Elect can get a good nights sleep before the first big gig. Let's all bribe this cheery group on!
Plan on being in downtown Groveland on Monday, August 11th for a true stump-off. Candidates will be positioned throughout Groveland pontificating and promising and pushing bribes up and down the street. Proceeds from the Mayoral Contest are shared with the sponsoring organization.