Sipping El Dorado will be held on Sunday, March 22. Tickets are $64 per person with dinner, wines, tax and tip included. Stay & Play room rates from $89 per room (2-people) breakfast included. Our next menu will look something like this:
- Appetizer: Happy Hour Bruschetta (topping TBA)
- Salad: (omething springy and light with an olive oil & lemon dressing)
- Treat: Caviar on crackers, cream cheese with champagne
- Main: Surf & Turf with Lobster with a red and a white, maybe a dry pink
- Finish: Mixed Cheeses, apples, fig compote
5-courses, 6 wines, and some uncommon treats!
History of the Sipping through the Sierras Wine Dinners:
We started the program for many reasons, one to add a new twist bringing local Sierra Foothills wines to Groveland and to help us expand our wine list with tested favorites. By hiring a sommelier we weren't tied to featuring only one winery, but several. We were also able to invite many wine makers to join us further enhancing the experience. Each event allowed guests to purchase wines at a discounted post-event price and we were able to determine which wines were hits. These made it to our regular wine list.
We started with Sipping Calaveras. Victor presented the menu to Nicole who tasted her way through Calaveras wines to pick the best of the region for pairing with our menu with an eye to value if there were equally delicious choices. We had a grand time and the pairings were all award winners.
- Sipping Calaveras Menu
· Cheese fondue with fresh cut apples, crostini and vegetables paired with Vina Moda, Viognier (Best of the Foothills, California State Fair, 2008)
· Salad of mixed greens, pear & sunflower seeds with a blue cheese dressing with Twisted Oak, Ruben’s Blend
(90 points, Wine Enthusiast Magazine July 2008)
· Petite plate of clams simmered in a red wine sauce with Hatcher, Barbera
(Silver Medal at Calaveras County Fair, 2008)
· Venison rack cutlet or filet mignon with plum onion marmalade, paired with Frog’s Tooth, Tempranillo (Double Gold, Calaveras County Fair, 2008)
· Zabaglione dessert paired with Ironstone Symphony
(Double Gold and Best of Show, Calaveras County Fair & Gold Medal, SF Chronicle Competition)
Sipping Through the Sierra continued with Sipping Amador. For this evening we began with mixes sausages and a fantastic old vine Zin and then presented three appetizers with one wine and explored how each course changes the taste of the wine. We followed this with our main course of three mixed grill items, Filet Mignon, Ostrich Fillet and Venison Rack served with three toppings, blue cheese butter, black cherry and porcini mushrooms and paired all with three wines. Very complex!
Sipping Amador Menu
- A selection of Sausages: Elk, Boar and Smoked Duck with Sobon, Old Vine Zinfandel
- Appetizer plate: Grilled Scallop, Ceviche and BruschettaRenwood, Viognier
- Mixed Grill: Potatoes, Vegetables and petite cuts of
Fillet Mignon, blue cheese-butter topping
Venison with a porcini mushroom sauce
Ostrich filet & a black cherry-port reduction
Vino Noceto, Sangiovese
Bray Vineyard, Syrah
Willow Creek, Obra Prima
Semi-sweet Chocolate Tiramisu Sobon, White Port
The small print:
Single event price: $64
3-Series Season tickets: $177 (a $15 savings)
To qualify for the season tickets they must be paid in full
Cancellations must be made 7 days before the event for a full refund
If you cancel with shorter notice and we are able to resell your reservation, you will be refunded your ticket price less a $5 processing fee.
If are a season ticket holder and then have to cancel after participating in one or more of the wine-dinners, the discount will be forfeit.